Restricted License Information
Frequent Reasons for Denial of Restricted Driver License Application
When an application is received by Financial Responsibility, the application and driving record are reviewed. The restricted driver license will be denied for the following reasons:
- The DUI occurred on or after July 1, 2000 and there is a prior conviction of DUI, Child Endangerment -DUI, Allowing an Intoxicated Person to Drive, within 10 years, or Vehicular Homicide, Intoxication Proximate Cause, Aggravated Vehicular Homicide, Vehicular Assault, or Adult Driving While Impaired on the driver's record.
- The order is issued for a suspension/revocation for which we do not have the authority to issue a restricted license.
- The requested route is not for a location designated by law (alcohol program, school, work, or interlock appointment).
- The order does not have the violation, date of violation, conviction date, and disposition.
- The order is not signed by the judge or if Driver Improvement Section approval not been granted.
- A check of the driver records shows person has other revocation/suspension/cancellation. Person must reinstate everything on driver record except for the violation for which the restricted license is being requested. If person has a violation that cannot be reinstated, a restricted license cannot be issued.
- If the person has a revocation/suspension in another state, a check is done to determine the problem in the other state. If person has a problem other than the violation for which the restricted is being issued, the person is denied the restricted until the problem in the other state is cleared.
- The SR-22 is not for the State of Tennessee or the company is not licensed in Tennessee.