Skip to Content

Titling/Registering a Vehicle (New or Relocating to Tennessee)

An application for Certificate of Title and Registration must be filed through the office of your local county clerk. If your county of residence requires emission testing, the vehicle will need to be tested for emissions first and then you will need go to your local county clerk's office and pay the required fees. Click here for locations and hours of operation of emissions testing facilities.

You will need to take with you the passed emissions certificate (if applicable), the most current out-of-state registration and the name and address of the lien holder to whom you are making payments. If you do not have a lien holder, you must furnish your out of state title.

Please note: You will need to provide proof of identification and proof of residency when titling and registering your vehicle. You can find acceptable documents using the charts below (available in English and Spanish).