An Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title may be filed in person or by mail through the office of your local County Clerk. Office hours and days of operation may vary. Click here to find contact information for your local county clerk.
When filing by mail, send
- The completed form to the office of your local county clerk
- The fee of $11, additional county fees may apply
- You may be required to provide proof any liens discharged for the vehicle.
- If there are any liens remaining on the vehicle, the duplicate title request must originate from the lienholder and the duplicate title will be sent to the first lienholder on record.
- Lienholders and out of state applicants should apply through the office of the county clerk of the owner’s last Tennessee residence.
In addition to providing the items listed above, when filing in person (with your local county clerk's office)
- You must furnish proof of identification (Tenn. Code Ann. 55-2-107), such as a driver’s license or valid passport. For more information on acceptable proofs of identification, click here.
- If someone other than the owner of the vehicle files, they must show proof of identification and have a notarized power of attorney from the owner.
NOTE: Please contact your county clerk to determine to whom checks should be made payable. Do not send cash.