Skip to Content

Tennessee Automated Payment Card

Direct Deposit and TAP Card Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I have a choice how I receive unemployment insurance benefits?
Yes, when you file a claim you may choose direct deposit to have your unemployment deposited into your personal checking or savings account or you can choose a Tennessee Automated Payment (TAP) debit card.  You may change your payment type by going to, clicking on the View/Update Payment Type and following the step by step prompts.

2. How do I choose direct deposit as an option for receiving my unemployment insurance benefits?
Claimants filing a new claim online will be given the option of debit card or direct deposit. Everyone else will need to go online to select direct deposit as their choice for receiving benefits. Claimants with existing claims may also choose to switch to direct deposit or debit card by going to and then clicking on View/ Update Payment Type and then following the step by step prompts.

3. While collecting unemployment insurance benefits can I still get a check?
Paper checks will be issued if the claimant has a Canadian address or a bankruptcy code.
4. How do I get the new TAP Debit Card?
Initially when filing your claim, you will have the option to receive your benefits via TAP card or direct deposit. Your card will be sent to you in the mail within 7-10 business days after filing your claim. You may use your card only after benefits have been deposited in your account.

5. When the card is sent in the mail, what does the envelope look like?
In order to protect you from potential card theft, your card will arrive in a windowed envelope with a return address of State of Tennessee, P. O. Box 9044, Coppell, TX 75019. Look for this envelope addressed to you, open immediately and follow the enclosed instructions.

6. When will benefits be deposited in my account?
Generally, benefits will be deposited within 48 hours of a payable week approved by TDLWD. It is important that you continue to certify for benefits each week. Failure to do so would result in benefits not being added to your TAP card. You should always check your balance before using the card. You may conduct balance inquiries free of charge through the convenience of Internet access at OR you can call Chase Customer Service toll-free number 1-866-429-9835. You may contact the Customer Service number free of charge four times a month. There is a $.25 transaction fee for each call thereafter.

7. Will the maximum benefit amount of my claim be on my card when I receive it?
No, just weekly payments authorized by TDLWD will be added to your card. The first week of UI, the waiting period week is not paid, but you must certify.  After you certify for the second week of benefits, if your claim is approved, money would be added to your debit card.

8. How do I activate my debit card?
You cannot use the card until it has been activated. You should activate your card immediately after you receive it by calling Chase Customer Service toll-free number (1-866-429-9835) and a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).You will receive step by step instructions for this process with your card.  For security reasons, it is important that you do not share your PIN or the TAP card with anyone. You should never write your PIN on your TAP card.

9. When is the toll-free Chase Customer Service line available?
The call center is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

10. Can I request a second card for another individual such as a family member?
No. Only the person approved for unemployment insurance benefit payments will receive a card.

11. What is a four-digit PIN?
Your PIN is a four-digit personal identification number that you enter on the keypad at ATMs and retail locations. You must select a four-digit pin when you call to activate your card.

12. Can someone other than the person whose name is on it use the card?
For security reasons, you should never share your PIN or allow anyone else to use your card.

13. What should I do if I forget my PIN?
Call the Chase Customer Service number on your card 1-866-429-9835.

14. What if I enter the wrong PIN?
If you are having trouble remembering your PIN, DO NOT try to guess your PIN when entering it on a Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal or an ATM. If the correct PIN is not entered by the third attempt, you must wait until after midnight to try again. Call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835 if you are having problems with your PIN.

15. How do I use my TAP Card to get cash at an ATM or Bank?
You may use your card to withdraw cash at an ATM. Your first two ATM cash withdrawals each month will be free. Each ATM withdrawal after that will have a $0.40 fee. Non-participating banks will also charge an additional surcharge fee. You can get surcharge-free ATM cash withdrawals only at Money Pass and Chase ATMs nationwide.

16. How do I use my TAP Card to make purchases?
Simply present your card when paying. The money is automatically deducted from your account. You may also ask for cash back with your purchase at many merchant locations.
Please note: When you are using the TAP card at a Point-of-Sale (POS) machine and you select "credit" or "debit," it will be free.

17. Where can I use my TAP Card to make purchases?
You can use your TAP Card anywhere you see the Visa Logo displayed.

18. How do I perform a balance inquiry?
You may conduct balance inquiries free of charge through the convenience of Internet access to your account information at OR you can call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835 OR you may check your ATM balance at Money Pass and Chase ATMs; other ATM's may also charge an additional surcharge fee.

19. How do I avoid paying fees?
Always know your balance so that you will not be charged an ATM denial fee. Use your free cash withdrawal at any Visa Member bank teller window to withdraw your entire weekly benefits deposit. Take your TAP Card to your personal bank and ask that the balance be transferred to your personal checking or savings account (make sure your bank is a Visa bank to ensure you don't incur a fee). At Point-of-Sale (POS) transactions ask for "credit" and sign for the transaction.

20. Can I use my TAP Card outside of Tennessee or in another country?
Yes, you can use the TAP Card anywhere that accepts VISA or any ATM. Any ATM use charges a transaction fee.

21. Can I transfer the money on my TAP Card to my personal checking or savings account?
Yes, as long as the bank where you keep your personal checking or savings account is a Visa Member bank you will be allowed to withdraw from the TAP Card and physically deposit into your personal Checking or Savings Account. Take your card to your bank teller window and explain that you want to transfer money from the TAP Card to your personal checking or savings account. This process counts as a withdrawal. If your bank usually charges you a fee for making deposits in your account, you will still be charged that fee. If a teller doesn't recognize the card, you should verify that you are at a bank that accepts VISA and then call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835 and report the bank location.

22. Will I be able to add other funds to my card, in addition to what the department puts on it?
No. Only TDLWD can deposit funds to the card.

23. How much money can I withdraw from an ATM?
You may withdraw up to the balance available in your TAP Card account or the maximum amount allowed by the ATM.

24. What is an ATM surcharge?
A surcharge is a fee charged by the bank or entity that owns the ATM. This fee is not charged by Money Pass and Chase ATMs. A surcharge fee is in addition to possible transaction fees you may be charged. To avoid this fee, make all of your withdrawals from surcharge-free ATMs (Money Pass and Chase ATM).

25. What is the difference between a transaction fee and a surcharge fee?
A transaction fee is a cost you may incur when using the card. A surcharge is an additional fee that may be charged by the owner of an ATM. You will never have to pay a surcharge if you use a Money Pass or Chase ATM.

26. I went to a surcharge-free ATM and it still said that I had to pay a surcharge. Why?
Money Pass and Chase ATM surcharge message will appear even though they are surcharge-free. Accept the surcharge if you want to make the transaction. You WILL NOT be charged the surcharge amount as long as you're using a surcharge-free ATM.  

27. What do I do if I'm charged an unexpected transaction fee?     
Call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835 for assistance.

28. What is an ATM denial?
An ATM denial occurs when you try to withdraw more money than you have available in your account. It is important to keep track of your balance. You may check your balance by going to the web site at OR calling Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835.
Please Note: An incorrect PIN entry is not an ATM denial. An ATM denial will charge a transaction fee of $0.25. An ATM Inquiry to check your balance will charge a transaction fee of $0.40.  Remember only four free calls per month.

29. What if my TAP Card doesn't work?
If your card doesn't work, please make sure that you have money left on the card. If your card is denied because of insufficient funds you will be charged a $0.25 fee. The ATM may be out of service or may not be on the network that accepts the card. Reminder: You may use your card surcharge-free at all Money Pass and Chase ATMs.

30. What happens if the TAP Card is lost or stolen?
Call the toll-free Chase Customer Service Center, 1-866-429-9835, to report a lost or stolen card. A new card will be issued and any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card.

31. What can I do if I'm expecting a TAP Card in the mail and don't receive it?
Call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835 and let them know that you have not received your card. Make sure your mailing address is accurate. In order to protect you from potential card theft, your card will arrive in a windowed envelope that does not display the TDLWD name or logo. Debit cards are not shipped through TDLWD, so it may take an extra day or two for the TAP card to reach you.

32. How do I get my address changed on this account?
Contact your claim center to change the name or address on the account or go online, and go to View Benefits/Update Information.

33. Do I still have to call the TIPS line each week?
Yes. As long as you are unemployed you must contact the TIPS line (1-800-689-9799 or 615-532-1800, out of state 1-800-262-8094) every week. You may also certify online at and clicking the “Weekly Certification” button.

34. Whom do I contact if I have questions?
Questions regarding your TAP are to be directed to Chase Customer Service at 1-866-429-9835. Questions regarding unemployment insurance are to be directed to the claims center at 1-877-813-0950 or 615-253-0800.

35. Can I get into debt or damage my credit rating by using the TAP Card?
No. Your card will be a prepaid Visa Debit Card not a credit card. Use of the TAP card will have no effect on your credit rating.

36. Can I use the TAP Card to build a credit history?
No. The TAP card does not help establish credit history as no credit check is required to receive the card, and it is not tied to a bank account or a credit line.

37. Will I earn interest on the funds in my TAP Card account?
No. The account does not earn interest.

38. What should I do with the TAP Card after the money is gone?
Keep it. We'll use it to pay you the next time you draw unemployment benefits. When the card is sent to you it will have an expiration date two years from date of issue. Should you need to file another claim for unemployment benefits during this time, this same card will be used.

39. Does TDLWD use text messages or e-mail to verify my TAP Debit Card? Do they ask for my PIN?
TDLWD never text messages or e-mails claimants and/or ask for Personal Identification Numbers (PINs). We do not need your PIN to work with your claim. Only you should know your PIN.  Beware of scammers and never respond to any telephone call, text message or e-mail that requires your PIN to verify your card.

TAP Debit Card Homepage