The Tennessee Consultative Services Onsite program is a consultation program designed to assist smaller employers in developing effective safety and health management systems and to provide assistance in complying with Tennessee OSHA requirements. This is accomplished by providing on-site safety and industrial hygiene consulting services. These services are provided without citation or monetary penalties. The program is designed for companies in high hazard industries with fewer than 250 employees on site or fewer than 500 employees within the US at all controlled sites.
TOSHA's Consultative Services Section offers the services of its occupational safety specialists and industrial hygienists to employers who request help to establish and maintain a safe and healthful workplace. The service can include an evaluation of mechanical systems, work practices, and environmental hazards in the workplace and all aspects of the employer's safety and health program. Assistance is also available to employers in developing site-specific safety and health programs.
TOSHA's consultation assistance is free of charge to eligible employers. You, the employer, pay absolutely nothing. No citations are issued for hazards identified by the consultant, and no penalties are ever proposed.
TOSHA Consultative Services is confidential. Your request for consultation will not trigger a federal or state OSHA inspection. Only if an identified serious hazard or imminent danger situation is not corrected within the agreed upon time frames will TOSHA enforcement staff be notified. Such instances are rare.
TOSHA Consultation provides several benefits, all at no cost to you, the employer. Onsite consultants will do the following:
- Help you recognize hazards in your workplace.
- Suggest approaches or options for controlling or eliminating safety or health hazards.
- Identify sources of help available to you if you need further assistance.
- Provide you with a written report that summarizes these findings.
- Assist you in developing or maintaining an effective safety and health program.
- Offer training and education specific to the hazards of your worksite for you and your employees at your workplace.
- Help you qualify for participation in the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
Consultants will not:
- Issue citations or propose penalties for violations of TOSHA standards.
- Report violations to TOSHA enforcement except as explained above.
Consultation Services offers the Safety and Health Achievement and Recognition Program (SHARP). SHARP recognizes employers who have developed exemplary safety and health management systems. TOSHA consultants form a partnership with the employer and employees and provide information and assistance on workplace hazards and implementation of safety and health management systems and programs.
Take the first step toward building long-term cooperative safety and health management in your workplace. The strength of the Consultation program is the opportunity it provides the employer to develop an effective safety and health program. Our experience indicates effective safety and health programs reduce injuries and illnesses in the workplace, improve employee morale, increase productivity, reduce operating expenses, and improve quality. For more information call 1-800-325-9901 or (615) 741-2793.