Spend Down Categories
- Medical Assistance for Children (Medicaid) - children who are under the age of 21 who meet technical and financial requirements. The caretaker is eligible if pregnant or under age 21.
- Pregnant women (Medicaid) - pregnant women who meet Medically Needy technical and financial requirements during their pregnancy, if eligible will also receive the two months post partum coverage.
Children in Psychiatric Facilities (Medicaid) - children under age 21 receiving active inpatient treatment in an accredited psychiatric facility or program.
- Spenddown Program - Medically Needy individuals are those children under age 21 or pregnant women who have medical bills greater than their income and meet all technical requirements of the Medicaid program.
- Standard Spend Down Program (Waiver) - Standard Spend Down is available through a waiver to the Medicaid program for a limited number of low income adults, or those with high, unpaid medical bills who are aged (65 or older), blind (21 or older), disabled (21 or older), or the caretaker relative (21 or older), of a Medicaid eligible child. Eligible individuals must have enough unpaid medical bills to meet the “spend down” threshold to qualify for and keep their coverage.
- Interested individuals may initiate the enrollment process for Standard Spend Down during periods of open enrollment by calling a special call-in phone line through the Tennessee Department of Human Services. The number is 1-866-358-3230 and will only be open during periods of open enrollment. Advanced notification will be made to the public and other stakeholders prior to those lines opening. For additional information about Standard Spend Down eligibility and open enrollment, CLICK HERE.
Adult and Family Services
Contact Family Assistance
- Family Assistance Service Center: 1-866-311-4287
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB):
- Tenncare Member Services & Crossover Billing:
- Medicare: 1-800-772-1213
- Locate your local DHS Office