Department of Human Services

Families First Online Policy Manual

Child Care




Table of Contents


Certain eligibility criteria determine which children receive child care services.  Care is available for:


·        Children under age 13.


·        Children age 13 and older who are under court supervision.


·        Children age 13 and older who are physically or mentally incapable of self-care.


·        Children who live in the home and for whom the caretaker has care and control but who are not in the assistance unit.


·        Children who would be included in the assistance unit except for the fact that they receive SSI.


·        Child care payments will not be made to:


-         The child’s parent, step-parent, guardian, or any member of the assistance unit.


-         Persons or agencies found guilty or validated as child abuse perpetrators.


·        The caretaker relative has certain choices regarding how child care is paid and to whom.  The caretaker may choose regulated or unregulated care.  Regulated care is licensed by the Department.  Unregulated care is not licensed, but is monitored by the child care specialist.


·        Unregulated care may not be provided in the child’s home, unless it is also the provider’s home.


·        Child care is provided in units of care based on the number of hours for which child care is needed per week, i.e., full-time, part-time, or extended time.


A full-time unit of care is defined as a weekly schedule of 20 to 60 plus hours of child care needed.  Child care can be provided while the parent or caretaker works, goes to class or other educational/training activities such as lab, study, or tutoring; and the traveling time to and from these activities and the child care provider. 


A part-time unit of care is defined as 1 to 19 hours per week, e.g., for a child who only needs before and/or after school care or for child care needed while the parent or caretaker attends FSC assessment, unless there is no part-time care available.                        


An extended time unit of care is only for Families First participants.  If a participant is placed in activities that require more hours of child care than allowed by one full-time unit of care, then the participant may receive an extended time unit which provides up to 150% of a full-time unit.  Only a DHS supervisor can authorize extended time units.  TCC cases are not eligible for extended time units, even if the AU received extended time while they were in the Families First Program.


·        Minor parents, who are ECs and have signed a PRP, will also receive Families First child care if the child care is required for them to fulfill the obligations on the PRP.  Child care will not be provided if the caretaker (whether EA or NA) is able to provide child care.



Table of Contents