Skip to Content

Summary of Permits


Construction Permit - Constructing or modifying a source that emits pollutants into the air.

Notification of Asbestos Demolition or Removal - Removing asbestos where quantities exceed 160 square feet or demolition of a regulated facility.

Operating Permit - Operating a source that emits pollutants into the air.

Title V Operating Permit - Sources with the potential to emit 100 tons/year of an air pollutant, 10 tons/year of hazardous air pollutant, and/or 25 tons/year of a combination of hazardous air pollutants.


Endangered Plant Dealer License - Selling or exporting Tennessee listed endangered plant species.

Ginseng Dealer Permit - Any ginseng dealer who purchases ginseng collected in Tennessee with the intent to resale must obtain a ginseng dealer permit.

Mineral Test Hole Permit - Persons who drill any hole in excess of one hundred feet for the specific purpose of exploring for minerals, excluding oil and gas.

Oil and Gas Well Permit - Persons who drill, deepen, or reopen oil or gas wells.

State Archaeological Permit - Conduct archaeological work on state-owned or state-managed lands.

Surface Mining Permit - Surface disturbance and surface mining of specific minerals.

TSP Scientific Research and Collecting Permit - Collect biological or geological materials, or air or water samples, or install research equipment on State Park land.


General Radioactive Material License - Possessing generally licensed devices (by-product, source and special nuclear material).

Radioactive Waste License for Delivery - Shipping licensable quantities of radioactive material to a disposal/processing facility within the state.

Reciprocity of an Out-State Radioactive Material License - Possessing or using licensed radioactive material to conduct the activities authorized by such license within the State of Tennessee.

Registration of X-Ray Producing Equipment - Owning or possessing any radiation machine - register radiation sources within 10 days after acquisition.

Specific Radioactive Material License - Receiving, possessing, using, transferring, owning or acquiring radioactive materials.


Consent Order Agreement - Voluntary Cleanup Oversight and Assistance Program (VOAP) - Investigation and cleanup of Superfund sites.

DCERP Registration - Owners or operators of drycleaning facilities conducting or intending to conduct drycleaning operations, during the year, must register.

Hazardous Waste Permits - Treating, storing or disposing of hazardous wastes.

Landfill Permit - Operating a solid waste landfill to take household, industrial, land clearing, landscaping, and/or construction and demolition wastes.

Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity - Annual Reporting, EPA ID Number Assigned, Transporter Permitting, Transfer Facility. Generating more than 100 kg of hazardous waste or 1 kg of acutely hazardous waste in any month of the calendar year requires notification/generating, transporting, treating, storing or disposing of hazardous waste requires an EPA ID number.

Notification For Used Oil Management - Every used oil collection center; transporter; transfer facility; marketing, processing, refining and off-specification burner site must file a notification with the state.

Permit-By-Rule for Solid Waste Management - Operating solid waste processing, collection and/or recycling facilities.

Special Waste Approval - disposal of special waste in a permitted landfill or processing special waste in a permitted processing facility.

Underground Storage Tank Notification - Installing an underground storage tank and/or having an existing underground storage tank on-site.


Water Resources Permits DataViewer – Online DataViewer pulls information from the same consolidated database TDEC regulatory staff uses to keep track of water related permit activity and status.

Water Resources Permits Mapviewer

Aquatic Resource Alteration Permit (ARAP)/Section 401 Certification - Physically altering waters (streams and wetlands) of the state, including water withdrawals that have the potential to signficantly degrade the water quality in the stream.

Certificate of Dam Approval and Safety - Constructing, altering, removing or operating a dam that is a minimum of 20 feet high or impounding at least 30 acre-feet of water.

Domestic Septage Disposal Site Permit - Land disposal of domestic septage from septic tanks or other sewage treatment or disposal facilities.

Dye Trace Registration - Anyone who performs a dye trace study in streams or groundwater systems of the state.

General Permit for Livestock Farms (CAFO)

General NPDES Permit for Discharges of Filter Backwash and Sedimentation Basin Washwater from Water Treatment Plants - The discharge of filter backwash and sedimentation basin washwater from water treatment plants to the waters of Tennessee.

General State Operating Permit for Application of Biosolids - persons covered under this general permit are authorized to land apply non-exceptional quality biosolids in accordance with specific limitations, monitoring requirements, management practices and other conditions as stated in the permit.

Hydrostatic Test Water NPDES General Permit - The discharge of hydrostatic test water to the waters of Tennessee.

Inter-Basin Transfer Permit - The transfer of water out of a major river basin and into another.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination (NPDES) Permit - Point source discharge of wastewater and stormwater runoff to the waters of the state.

NPDES General Permit for Application of Pesticides - Point source discharges of pesticides used for (1) mosquito and other flying insect pest control; (2) weed and algae control; (3) animal pest control; and (4) forest canopy pest control to the waters of the state.

NPDES General Permit For Industrial Stormwater - Point source discharge of stormwater from runoff industrial or commercial facilities to the waters of the state.

NPDES General Permit for Construction Stormwater - The grubbing, clearing, grading or excavation of one (1) or more acres of land.

Plans Review and Approval for Public Water Systems - Constructing or modifying a public water system.

Ready Mixed Concrete NPDES General Permit - The operation of a ready mix concrete facility with discharges of washwater, stormwater, or a no-discharge recycle system.

Septic System Construction Permit - Subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system installation or repair. Apply online for Ground Water Protection Services.

Septic Tank Pumping Contractor Permit - The business of removing and disposing of domestic septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities.

State Operating Permit for Water Quality - Operating a municipal collection system, discharging treated municipal wastewater to land.

Storm Water Discharges Permitting - Phase I and II - A page of information, resources, and links, including development of the Tennessee Phase II MS4 Permitting Program.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal System Installer Permit - The business of installing, altering, extending, or repairing a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) systems.

Underground Injection Control Permit - Injection wells and injection activities with the exception of single family domestic waste disposal systems and injection of natural gas for the purpose of storage.

Underground Storage Tank Remediation NPDES General Permit - The discharge of groundwater associated with remediation of contaminated groundwater at an underground storage tank.

Water and Wastewater Operator Certification - Each person in direct charge at a water treatment plant, a wastewater treatment plant, a water distribution system, or a wastewater collection system must have a certificate.

Well Driller or Installer License - The digging, drilling, or redrilling of a well or anyone who installs, or repairs well pumps or filters and treatment devices.

Wellhead Protection Program Approval - Public water supplies using groundwater as a source.


This information is provided for educational purposes. Although there are statements about what sorts of activities generally require certain permits. Individual circumstances may differ. Based on the details of a particular operation, a facility might need another type of permit in addition to what is indicated in this web site. Please contact the nearest Environmental Field Office for more definitive answers about your particular circumstances.