Teacher of the Year Eligibility
A Teacher of the Year candidate must:
- Be a full-time, certified, in good standing, Pre K-12 teacher in a state-accredited public school at each stage of the recognition process (local, regional, grand division, state and national levels).
- Spend the majority of the school day in direct instruction to students.
- Be in at least the fifth year of teaching in Tennessee public schools.
- Have a track record of exceptional gains in student learning.
of the Year at all levels must:
- Have a broad understanding of research-based models for effective teaching and of current trends and issues in education.
- Be facilitators of learning, skilled in implementing creative teaching strategies.
- Be able to show evidence of positive teacher effect over time related to student achievement through formal and informal documentation.
- Be able to explain, discuss and defend a personal philosophy of teaching.
- Be poised, articulate, enthusiastic, and energetic.
- Be exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled teachers.
- Have a superior ability to teach and to inspire in students a love of learning.
- Be recognized as leaders in the community as well as in the school.
- Show active involvement and leadership in professional development and extra-curricular activities.
- Inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn.
- Have the respect and admiration of students, parents and colleagues.