The department promotes educational services and programs for all Tennessee's students with special education needs. The department is committed to systematic planning along with plan implementation, tracking and accountability as a vehicle for providing the leadership necessary for fulfilling this purpose.
- Evaluation & Eligibility
- Training Opportunities
- Tools and Resources
- Data Services & Reports
- Special Education Manual
Request for Proposal to Present at the 2015 Partners in Education (PIE) Conference
Would you like to share your success and strategies with other educators?
The department is looking for presenters who have documented success in the areas of Response to Instruction and Intervention (RTI2), Secondary Transition and Intervention, Special Education Framework, Differentiated Instruction, and Early Childhood. Access the Request for Proposals for Presenters application here.The PIE Conference which will be held Jan. 27–29, 2015, at the Music City Center in Nashville, TN.
The deadline for submitting a proposal is Sept. 22, 2014.
Additional information about the conference will be updated on the PIE Conference page.
Draft of Special Education Framework Manual and Implementation Guide
Drafts of the Special Education Framework manualand the Implementation Guide are now available for review. While the expectation is that the content will remain the same, the documents will be in draft form for feedback from districts through Sept. 30, 2014. The department plans to release the final documents by Oct. 31, 2014.
The Special Education Framework manual was developed to help guide teams with required as well as most effective practices that will ultimately
lead to better outcomes for students with disabilities. The implementation guide was developed to support educators and provide tools that will
help implement the required components as well as the optional components of the manual.
- Special Education Framework Manual (including appendices)
- Special Education Implementation Guide
- Appendix A: Associated Deficits of Autism
- Appendix B: Associated Deficits of Deafness
- Appendix C: Associated Deficits of Developmental Delay
- Appendix D: Associated Deficits of Emotional Disturbance
- Appendix E: Associated Deficits of Intellectual Disability
- Appendix F: Associated Deficits of Giftedness
- Appendix G: Associated Deficits of Orthopedic Impairment/ OHI
- Appendix H: Associated Deficits of Other Health Impairment
- Appendix I: Associated Deficits of Reading Specific Learning Disability
- Appendix J: Associated Deficits of Math Deficits Specific Learning Disability
- Appendix K: Associated Deficits of Written Expression Specific Learning Disability
- Appendix L: Associated Deficits of Speech Impairment
- Appendix M: Associated Deficits of Language Impairment
- Appendix N: Associated Deficits of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Appendix O: Associated Deficits of Blindness