Charter schools are public schools operated by independent, non-profit governing bodies. In Tennessee, public charter school students are measured against the same academic standards as students in other public schools.
Local boards of education ensure that only those charter schools open and remain open that are meeting the needs of their students. Local boards do this through rigorous authorization processes, ongoing monitoring of the academic and financial performance of charter schools, and, when necessary, through the revocation or non-renewal of charters.
The Tennessee Public Charter Schools Act is contained in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-13-101 through 137, and in 8-35-242. You can access Tennessee laws here.
Tennessee Charter Schools Summary Report (includes 2012-13 data)
To find charter schools in Tennessee, or in a particular school district, please visit the TDOE School Directory. You can narrow your searches by selecting “Public Charter” in the School Type field.
Information for Sponsors
- Charter School Application Materials (including tools for LEA review of applications)
- Charter School Grants
- Annual Financial Report Form for Charter Schools (2012-13)
Information for Operators & Authorizers
- Reporting Schedule
- Annual Report Guidance
- Interim Review Guidelines
- School Facilities Utilization Guidelines
- Catalogs of vacant/underutilized property from MNPS, KCS, HCDE, SCS
- Charter School Waiver Requests
- Special Education in Tennessee Charter Schools
- Charter Schools News & Publications
To Access Tennessee Laws
- Go to the Tennessee Code Unannotated Free Public Access page on Lexis Nexis.
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- At the top of the page in the Search field, enter the code number (i.e., 49-1-101), or search by keyword in Title 49.